WATER HEATER SERVICES
OAHU WATER HEATER REPAIR & INSTALLATION SERVICES
Electric Water Heater
If you have an electric water heater, then here are some things you can try:
- Check if it’s plugged in. Then reset the thermostat.
- Still having a problem? Try to raise the temperature setting in the thermostat.
- Flushing the heater may also work. This step removes the sediment in the tank that can lead to some heating problems.
- In many cases the problem is in the heating element of the machine. You don’t have to repair this. Just replace the heating element, since they’re very inexpensive anyway.
Gas Water Heater
If you have a gas water heater, here are some simple repairs you can try:
- Check that the gas is connected, and you should be certain that the pilot light is lit.
- Fixing the issue may be as simple as increasing the temperature setting on heater’s thermostat.
- If that does not work, try to flush the heater. This will remove the sediment to the tank that may be the cause of the problem.
- The heat may also be escaping due to improper insulation. You should make sure that the water pipes are well-insulated.
- The problem could also be in the thermocoupler. This is the device that automatically shuts off the gas when the pilot flame goes out. The thermocoupler may be malfunctioning, and in such case you will need to replace it.
Here are some other problems that require simple solutions:
- The pressure relief valve may be leaking. If that’s the case, you only need to replace the valve.
- The leaks may be in the water supply pipes. If so, it’s all a matter of tightening the fittings. If that doesn’t stop the leaks, then you should shut off the water first, and then you can replace the fittings instead.
- The water heater may be making sizzling or hissing noises. That may be caused by the sediment that may have collected in the tank. So drain the tank until the water clears. Then remove and soak the elements in a container of white vinegar for an hour. Afterwards, scrape off the scale. If that doesn’t work, you can always just replace the elements.
- If it smells bad, that’s probably due to a buildup of bacteria in the tank. You need to flush the tank, and then you have to replace the anode rod with a different type of metal.
- If the water takes a long time to heat, or the water is too hot, then you should readjust the thermostat. You may need a new thermostat if adjusting it does not work.
Needless to say, you need to be very careful when you try to do your own water heater repair.
Give Alpha Omega Plumbing a call at 808-847-5414 if none of the above methods work and we’ll be glad to serve you! Mahalo!